I. Matriculation

A. Matriculated Status

A matriculated student is one who has been admitted to and has declared a particular degree or certificate program at Onondaga Community College (OCC).

Matriculated students who have discontinued enrollment for a period of two consecutive years will be placed on inactive status. Inactive students who wish to regain active status should contact Student Central.

B. Academic Program Change

Forgiveness: Students who change their academic program may apply for one time grade forgiveness. This forgiveness, if approved, applies to the cumulative GPA.

A student may submit a petition for grade forgiveness for prior courses with grades of D and F that are not applicable to the new program. For example, if a student was in MUS and changes to NUR, all MUS courses with grades of D or F will be forgiven. Extra liberal arts electives that could potentially be applied to the new program will remain in the cumulative GPA and cannot be forgiven.

If approved, forgiven courses with grades of D and F will be made non-applicable to the cumulative GPA. The grades will be indicated with an asterisk (i.e. *D). Courses will remain on the transcript to reflect an accurate academic history, but the grades will not be calculated into the cumulative GPA and credit will no longer count towards graduation requirements.

A student may submit a petition for grade forgiveness after successful completion of his or her first semester with 12 or more credits in the new academic program and a term GPA of 2.0 or higher. Petition forms are available by request at the Office of Registration and Records. Students must submit the petition along with a letter explaining the circumstances that warrant grade forgiveness. Petitions are at the discretion of the Office of Registration and Records and the Scholastic Standards committee.

Greater consideration will be given to candidates demonstrating a significant disparity between prior and current academic performance. Students will be granted only one grade forgiveness petition during their academic career at Onondaga Community College and must petition no later than four weeks into the semester following their second semester in the new academic program. Should a student receive approval to change back to a program in which the student had been matriculated, all courses applicable to that program must be applied (including those that may have been forgiven as a result of the original program change) and recomputed in the cumulative GPA.